Sunday, November 22, 2009

Like a Like-Like from Legend of Zelda

Just sent off an email to a friend on the topic of the overuse of the word "like." Mind you, this isn't out of some strange fascination for similes. I figured you people might enjoy what I said to him on the matter.
I am reminded that a "like-like" was a baseline enemy in the original Legend of Zelda video game on the NES. It was a blob-like creature that split into two smaller blobs when struck with a weapon. It would appear that the Japanese in 1986 were actually predicting American speech patterns in the late 20th and early 21st Centuries. Consider that when one person uses "like" frequently in conversation, the likelihood of others to begin to use the word with exponentially-growing frequency will increase. Such as the monster from the game, one will split into two. If you have two to split, you will have four. So it goes down the line.
Okay, I just looked it up, and I had it confused with a different enemy; the like-like actually ate your shield. I suppose that's also appropriate, since this deluge of "like" is damn good at breaking down the mental barriers that keep my sanity in check.

No comments: