Friday, May 9, 2008

PEHDTSCHJMBA

Now, most of my friends know how much of a Tom Waits nut I am. Absolutely love his music, from every era. You can break down his music three ways, according to his record label affiliations: the Asylum era (jazz/blues/piano nightclub sound), the Island era (experimental, running a variety of awesome sounds), and his current vein at ANTI- Records (all over the place).

However, sometimes his lunacy puts me in the awkward position of wanting to smack upside the head one of my favorite artists. Take for example, his upcoming Glitter and Doom Tour. Watch the following video and learn something profound:



Plotting your tour locations in the shape of a constellation is, to be blunt, really f#cking awesome. However, I can't help but be incredibly infuriated that this tour is only covering the America Southwest. There are many people up here in New York that would slit a man's throat to see Tom Waits in all his live glory. While I'm trying to balance the fact that so many people are being left out of this tour, I can't help but smirk at the methodology.

6 comments:

KLA* said...

I loved this video. I watched it the other day after noticing our sidebar at Rum-Soaked Review. He is endlessly entertaining.

But, yeah, no New York? Seriously.

Given that it was live Tom Waits that got me into him, and that he put out a monster album a year and a half ago and never bothered to tour for it, I have been dying to see him, especially as I got more and more of his albums and found him to be the only thing in the world that I want to listen to, time and time again.

I'm hoping Glitter and Doom is an upcoming album
I love the title and I love the image on the flyer.

Check out his comfortable tour schedule and then check out what Setting Sun is about to embark upon.

As EH puts it in A Moveable Feast, "Hunger was a good discipline."

KLA* said...

your sidebar

noiselessinfinity said...

I, too, am hoping that this tour is to bolster a new album. Or, perhaps it is to gather material for a new live album. Who knows? Tom Waits works in mysterious ways.

KLA* said...

yeah, the last one would be Big Time, from the eighties, so it owuld be about time, since he has had, oh, eight albums since then, one of which was three discs long, one of which was the soundtrack to a strange movie, and much of the past eight albums rank up there as containing the best stuff he has ever done. I listened to Mule Variations on record the other night after cleaning my office. I love some of that album sooo much.

My mom and Jacki are all for going to Tennessee to see him. If this ever becomes idle boozetalk, I'll let you know, probably by buying you a ticket without asking you and showing up at your house the morning we leave, grabbing your toothbrush and pajamas and throwing you in the car before you can invent reasons not to go.

noiselessinfinity said...

Well, if I have a job by that point, I'm sure my employer would understand disappearing for a couple days. I mean, it's Tom Waits; how can s/he argue?

frankie teardrop said...

yo kevin, if you guys decide to serioulsy get tickets and take a road trip, let me know, huh? i want in. i'll make the time if i gotta.